Frequently asked questions

Can I be/have a caregiver for a medical marijuana patient in California?

Yes, medical marijuana patients in California can have a caregiver. You qualify as a primary caregiver under California marijuana law if:

  • You have been designated for that purpose by a legal medical marijuana user
  • You are consistently responsible for that person’s housing, health, and/or safety
  • The care you provide is independent of assistance you give the person in taking medical marijuana
  • You began taking care of the person at or before the time you assumed responsibility for assisting with medical marijuana.
  • Primary caregivers are covered under the California Compassionate Use Act (“CUA”)

To apply as a caregiver, follow this process:

  1. Completed an MMIC application
  2. Provide a copy of medical records, including the patient’s physician’s recommendation for medical marijuana
  3. Pay MMIC application fee

In order to receive a medical marijuana identification card (MMIC), patients and caregivers must apply in person through their appointed county office and provide the following documents:

  1. Photo identification for both parties
  2. Proof of residence, such as a utility bill, for both parties