There are three simple steps to seeing a Leafwell provider in Minnesota to obtain your certificate:
1. Create a Leafwell account using a valid email address and choosing a password. You’ll then be asked to complete a brief questionnaire of personal and health information and to either take or upload a photograph of identification (Leafwell is required by law to verify your identity). You will need a smartphone, computer, or tablet with a reliable internet connection and a working camera to be seen by a Leafwell provider.
2. Next, you will be taken to the virtual waiting room where you’ll be connected Leafwell provider for a video chat (i.e., a virtual doctor’s visit). (You will receive a text message to your cell phone when the provider is ready to see you.) During the video chat, the provider will assess your health situation to determine if you qualify for certification.
3. If you are approved for a medical cannabis certificate, you’ll be sent a copy of your certificate letter via email from the Office of Medical Cannabis.
4. Register online. In order to register, you will need:
- Link in the email from the Office of Medical Cannabis.
- Your name, address and phone number.
- Government-issued ID: state of Minnesota ID or driver’s license (scan or photo from phone).
- If applying for the discounted fee, you will need to show proof of receiving Supplemental Security Income, Social Security Disability (including those transitioned to retirement benefits), medical assistance, MinnesotaCare, IHS, Railroad disability, VA dependency and indemnity compensation, or Veteran’s disability benefits. See the How to Register in the Medical Cannabis Program (PDF) for details.
- Credit card to pay Annual Registration Fee via USBank website. All fees are non-refundable.
- You will receive an email when your account has been approved.
- Enrollments are processed in the order they are received and it could take up to 30 days to be approved.
- You will need to complete the patient self-evaluation report in your account in the registry.
- Complete the patient self-evaluation report to expedite your visit to the cannabis patient center.
Please note that, while Minnesota has allowed telemedicine to be used to certify patients as part of a response to COVID, there still exists a requirement that Health Care Practitioners provide ongoing treatment for patients participating in this program. Any Health Care Practitioner who uses Leafwell has to show how they will continue to treat each of these patients and determine, on a yearly basis, if they continue to suffer from the qualifying medical condition. We therefore provide follow-up appointments to help our patients and see how well they are responding to treatment.