The doctor was cool. He asked me questions, gave me good information and things to be aware of. Thanks a lot: I know how to be safe now
1 Year Doctor’s MMJ Certificate
Instant .PDF Download
24/7 Online Verification
No Appointment Necessary
HIPAA Compliant - Privacy Guaranteed
Register online and see a Rhode Island licensed physician online.
Get approved and download your medical certificate.
Send your application and doctor's certificate to Rhode Island's DOH by US Mail. i
Receive your Rhode Island medical marijuana card in 2-4 weeks.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Join our community and get exclusive updates and deals!
Trusted By 60,000+ Patients
See what patients say about Leafwell
Fast, easy, fairly priced. Everything you should expect.
Very easy and convenient! It was fast easy and was able to make a purchase the same day! I’d highly recommend it!!
Responsive and helpful professionals with a seamless process.
Reliable, fast, and easy process. Very pleased with my experience.
Wow! I am grateful for this service. My recommendation was expiring today and I was amazed to find out I could meet the Dr. Online and speak with him directly for my renewal evaluation. My recommendation is in the mail. Thank you.
Great service! Thank you for supporting the medical marijuana community.
I was speaking to doctor, who was extremely easy to talk to, within minutes of accessing the website. Getting a download of my rec. took about the same amount of time. I’d recommend LeafWell to all seeking a medical marijuana rec.
Excellent fast service in our time of need. Staff was very helpful and attentive to our needs! Thank you
Common conditions cannabis recommended for include
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Cachexia, or Wasting Syndrome
- Cancer or the treatment of cancer, inc. side-effects of chemotherapy
- Crohn's Disease
- Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders
- Hepatitis C
- HIV/AIDS or the treatment of these conditions
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Severe, debilitating, chronic pain
- Severe Nausea
- Severe and Persistent Muscle Spasms
Frequently Asked Questions
Medical marijuana certificate on its own = $149 at Leafwell.co
State application fee = $50, or $25 for those in receipt of SNAP, Medicaid/Medicare or Veteran’s Disability.
Renewal fee = $149
In Rhode Island, the following conditions may qualify you for a medical marijuana certificate and card:
Alzheimer’s Disease (AD)
Autism Spectrum Disorder
Cachexia, or Wasting Syndrome
Cancer or the treatment of cancer, inc. side-effects of chemotherapy
Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders
HIV/AIDS or the treatment of these conditions
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Severe, debilitating, chronic pain
Severe and Persistent Muscle Spasms
Telemedicine for medical cannabis is legal in Rhode Island. Therefore Leafwell’s services are accessible via telehealth in Rhode Island.
There are three simple steps to seeing a Leafwell provider in Rhode Island to obtain your medical marijuana card:
1. Create a Leafwell account using a valid email address and choosing a password. You’ll then be asked to complete a brief questionnaire of personal and health information and to either take or upload a photograph of identification (Leafwell is required by law to verify your identity). You will need a smartphone, computer, or tablet with a reliable internet connection and a working camera to be seen by a Leafwell provider.
2. Next, you will be taken to the virtual waiting room where you’ll be connected Leafwell provider for a video chat (i.e., a virtual doctor’s visit). (You will receive a text message to your cell phone when the provider is ready to see you.) During the video chat, the provider will assess your health situation to determine if you qualify for a medical marijuana certification.
3. If you are approved for a medical marijuana card, you’ll be sent a copy of your certificate letter via email. Send your application form and doctor’s certificate to Rhode Island’s DOH by US Mail – emails and faxes are not accepted.
Leafwell requires the following documents for your online visit:
– Photo ID (e.g., driver’s permit/license, state ID, or U.S. passport)
– Proof of address (e.g., utility bill, mortgage, rental lease, bank statement)
– Medical records (e.g. patient history, doctor’s notes, prescription information/history, imaging/scan results)
You must be at least 18 years of age in order to apply for a Medical Marijuana Card in Rhode Island. Caregivers must be 21 years of age.
In Rhode Island, you can get a medical marijuana card for a minor with parental/guardian consent. Medical marijuana has been proven to be effective for many conditions suffered by children.
The Leafwell providers understand this and frequently work with parents to help them get their children the medical care they need.
Yes, medical marijuana patients in Rhode Island can have a caregiver. A primary caregiver must be at least 21 years of age and a resident of Rhode Island. A primary caregiver can assist no more than five patients with their use of medical marijuana. Patients are limited to one caregiver.
To apply as a caregiver, follow this process:
- Get Designated. Work with the patient to determine who is/are the most appropriate caregiver(s). Note that caregiver information is always provided by the patient. The application includes information on required background checks and application fees for caregivers. Click here for more information.
- Application form and certification form is filled out, Caregiver is designated.
- Once approved, patient and caregiver will be sent a medical marijuana identification card.
Patients must indicate on their application whether they plan to grow medical marijuana plants for themselves. Patients who will grow marijuana and all primary caregivers must register their grow location with the Rhode Island Department of Health.
Everyone who grows marijuana, whether a patient or primary caregiver, must purchase plant tags from the Department of Business Regulation and is subject to their rules and regulations for tag use.
Yes, Leafwell can help you renew your medical marijuana certificate and card. If you’re a returning patient, all your information is stored in our HIPAA-compliant platform, and the process is quick and easy.
If you are not already a Leafwell patient, click here to create an account and complete your renewal.
Rhode Island medical marijuana certificates are valid for one year. When you use Leafwell to obtain your certificate, we’ll send you a reminder email one month before your card is due to expire to make sure you have plenty of time to submit your renewal application.
In Rhode Island, you can possess the following amounts with a valid MMJ Card:
– Possession Limit (Flower): Up to 2.5 oz. on-person.
– Possession Limit (Flower): Up to 10 ounces on one’s own property, residential or non-residential.
– Possession Limit (Concentrate): 1 gram concentrate = 3.3 grams flower.
This suggests a possession limit of just over 1 oz. of concentrate.
If you have a medical marijuana card, you can buy cannabis in Rhode Island at a licensed dispensary or use a licensed delivery service.
Also, you can grow your own cannabis – up to 12 plants per person.
Some states accept out-of-state Medical Marijuana Cards. This is called reciprocity. The following states accept out-of-state medical cannabis cards:
– Alaska ^
– Arkansas *
– California ^
– Colorado ^
– Hawaii *
– Oklahoma *
– Oregon ^
– Puerto Rico
– Washington ^
– Washington D.C.
States marked with * require visitors to complete a visiting patient application for the duration of their stay.
States marked with ^ have adult use programs but do not accept out of state cards.
Yes, registry to the Rhode Island Department of Health’s medical marijuana program is mandatory for medical cannabis patients. However, the database is not accessible to the general public.
Here is an overview of the medical marijuana laws in Rhode Island:
2005 – After much legal wrangling, Senate Bill 0710 (SB 0710) is passed through. It becomes known as the Edward O. Hawkins and Thomas C. Slater Medical Marijuana Act.
2007 – SB 791 is passed, removing the repeal date for the Rhode Island Medical Marijuana Act and expand the definition of a primary caregiver.
2009 – H5359 is passed and includes instructions for the sale, creation, administration and regulation of medical marijuana dispensaries.
2013 – The first compassion center (aka medical marijuana dispensary) is opened.
Yes, we do. All of the doctors who work with Leafwell are licensed physicians within Rhode Island and experienced medical marijuana doctors.
We’re committed to working with physicians who understand the value of medical cannabis and can help people interested in trying medical marijuana and providing medical support and guidance.
Yes, a Medical Marijuana patient or their caregiver can grow up to twelve mature plants or 12 seedlings plants.
Two or more cardholders may cooperatively cultivate marijuana in residential or non-residential locations subject to the following restrictions:
– Non-residential – no more than 10 ounces of usable marijuana, 48 mature marijuana plants, and 48 seedlings.
– Residential – no more than 10 ounces of usable marijuana, 24 mature marijuana plants, and 24 seedlings.
Please note that, due to differences in opening hours and COVID-19 restrictions, you may not be able to visit a medical marijuana doctor in-person or use one of our kiosks connecting you to a physician online. The simplest, safest and easiest way to get certified for medical marijuana and get a medical cannabis card is by doing it online. With Leafwell, you can speak to a doctor anywhere you are in Rhode Island, 7 days a week, 7 am to 7 pm.
Leafwell MD Providence
166 Valley St, Providence, RI 02909, USA
See A Leafwell Physician Today
Get approved for medical marijuana online from a licensed physician. Only pay if you are approved.Get Started