My experience at Good Greens Dispensary was very good, they did a great job with help explaining and helping me obtain a medical card.
1 Year Doctor’s Recommendation Letter
Speak to a Certified Washington D.C. Physician
Instant .PDF Download
24/7 Online Verification
HIPAA-Compliant - Privacy Guaranteed
Register with Leafwell and see a certified physician online today, or make an appointment.
Attend your appointment and speak with a physician. If approved, you will be emailed your recommendation.
Fill out the state application form, attaching relevant documents and doctor’s recommendation, and get qualified for medical cannabis. i
Subscribe to our newsletter
Join our community and get exclusive updates and deals!
Trusted By 60,000+ Patients
See what patients say about Leafwell
Outstanding customer service.I highly recommend their services.Thank you
Common conditions cannabis recommended for include
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Any chronic or long-lasting condition deemed suitable by the physician
- Debilitating or interferes with the basic functions of life; and is a serious medical condition for which the use of medical marijuana is beneficial, that cannot be effectively treated by any ordinary medical or surgical measure, or for which there is scientific evidence that the use of medical marijuana is likely to be significantly less addictive than the ordinary medical treatment for that condition.
- Patients may also qualify by undergoing any of the following medical treatments: Chemotherapy; radiotherapy; the use of azidothymidine or protease inhibitors; or any other treatment as determined by rule making, whose side effects require treatment through the administration of medical marijuana in the same manner as a qualifying medical condition.
Frequently Asked Questions
Medical marijuana certificate letter on its own = $99 at Leafwell.co
State application fee = $100
Renewal fee = $99
In Washington DC, the following conditions may qualify you for a medical marijuana certificate and card:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Any condition that results in long-lasting, chronic pain or spasms (e.g. Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy)
- Replacement for opiates post-surgery
- Patients undergoing treatments such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy, the use of protease or azidothymidine inhibitors and several others where side-effects can affect the patient’s quality of life
However, the law also cites the following general statements as qualifiers:
- Any other condition determined to be chronic or long-lasting, debilitating or interferes with the basic functions of life
- A serious medical condition for which the use of medical marijuana is beneficial
Telemedicine for medical cannabis is legal in Washington DC. Therefore Leafwell’s services are accessible via telehealth in Washington DC.
With Leafwell, you can get your Washington DC Medical Marijuana Card in 4 simple steps:
1. Register online with Leafwell and speak with our physician
You can speak to a doctor and qualify for a Washington DC medical marijuana card online. The cost of the online consultation is $99. You are only billed if approved.
2. Receive your certificate from Leafwell
This is a certificate which says that your doctor recommends you become a cannabis patient under the state’s current laws and this certificate is required to apply for your MMJ Card. It includes your recommendation number
3. Complete the Application on the government website
Complete this form including adding in the recommendation number on your certificate and the name of your physician. At this point, you will pay the state fee of $100 (or $25 if you can prove low income)
4. Receive your medical marijuana card
If approved, you will receive your medical marijuana card in the mail within 3-4 weeks. Your certificate will be valid for one year from the date of issue.
You must be a resident of the District of Columbia and be diagnosed with a qualifying medical condition or be currently undergoing a qualifying medical treatment (see below). You will need ID issued by the District of Columbia to qualify for a medical card.
Medical records are preferred but not required by physicians in Washington DC.
You must be aged 18 years old or over in order to qualify for a medical marijuana card for yourself in Washington DC. Caregivers must be 18 years old or over.
In Washington DC, you can get a medical marijuana card for a minor with parental/guardian consent. Medical marijuana has been proven to be effective for many conditions suffered by children. The Leafwell providers understand this and frequently work with parents to help them get their children the medical care they need.
Yes, medical marijuana patients in Washington DC can have a caregiver. To apply as a caregiver, follow this process:
1. Complete the PDF application to become a caregiver
2. Submit this at the same time as you submit the patient application to the state
3. You may be required to provide proof of a criminal background check to the state
Yes, Leafwell can help you renew your medical marijuana certificate and card. If you’re a returning patient, all your information is stored in our HIPAA-compliant platform, and the process is quick and easy. If you are not already a Leafwell patient, click here to create an account and complete your renewal.
Washington DC medical marijuana certificates are valid for one year. When you use Leafwell to obtain your certificate, we’ll send you a reminder email one month before your card is due to expire to make sure you have plenty of time to submit your renewal application.
As an MMJ Card holder in Washington DC, you are permitted to possess:
- 2 ounces at any one time
- Allowed product types include flower, concentrates, edibles, transdermal products, seeds and seedlings
However, patients can purchase up to 4 ounces in a 30 day period.
Cannabis is legalized for recreational use in Washington DC. Persons over the age of 21 can possess up to 2 ounces of marijuana and grow up to 3 mature plants and 3 immature plants at home.
If you have a medical marijuana card, you can buy cannabis in Washington DC at a licensed dispensary or use a licensed delivery service.
The allowed product types include flower, concentrates, edibles, transdermal products, seeds and seedlings.
Some states accept out-of-state Medical Marijuana Cards. This is called reciprocity. The following states accept out-of-state medical cannabis cards:
– Alaska ^
– Arkansas *
– California ^
– Washington DC ^
– Hawaii *
– Oklahoma *
– Oregon ^
– Puerto Rico
– Washington ^
– Washington D.C.
States marked with * require visitors to complete a visiting patient application for the duration of their stay.
States marked with ^ have adult use programs but do not accept out of state cards.
Here is a brief overview of the history of medical marijuana laws and legislation in Washington DC:
- 2010 – Council of the District of Columbia legalized medical cannabis
- January 1, 2011 – the medical cannabis program became legal
- March 4, 2014 – the Council of the District of Columbia decriminalized possession of cannabis
- February 26, 2015 – Initiative 71 legalized the recreational use of cannabis.
While cannabis is legal in Washington DC, there remained a large number of arrests after Initiative 71 had been passed. Many of these arrests are due to public consumption charges – we remind patients that it is not recommended to consume cannabis in public spaces
Yes, we do. All of the doctors who work with Leafwell are licensed physicians within Washington DC and experienced medical marijuana doctors. We’re committed to working with physicians who understand the value of medical cannabis and can help people interested in trying medical marijuana and providing medical support and guidance.
Cultivation is not explicitally permitted hrough the program, and therefore as part of the program, medical patients aren’t permitted to grow cannabis.
However, cultivation is legal because recreational cannabis use is legal. Individuals can grow up to 3 mature and 3 immature plants in their house.
See A Leafwell Physician Today
Get approved for medical marijuana online from a licensed physician. Only pay if you are approved.Get Started